Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Remember reading Jane Eyre?


Well, I know cousin Dave would have far preferred PG Woodehouse to Bronte in high school... and I concur in that Jeeves and Wooster would have delighted be as a teenager, even as it did when Carrie and Kim asked me if I'd ever heard of Elorea Glossap. I came to know Woodehouse in this past 2 years alone! All that aside, though, I actually like Jane Eyre. The passionate morality is hard to resist; how do these Brontenian women survive their ordeals and still constantly speak of faith, temperance, and heavenly hopes?

This week I read a third Bronte novel (finally coming to know the third sister) and thoroughly enjoyed The Tennant of Wildfell Hall. I most enjoyed Helen "Graham's" discussion of how we do not become strong in being beset with temptations, but rather through avoidance of Satan's lures.
Behold the conversation between her and Gilbert: CH 3
"G:Yes, but the surest means will be to endeavour to fortify him against temptation, not to remove it out of his way.'

'H:I will do both, Mr. Markham. God knows he will have temptations enough to assail him, both from within and without, when I have done all I can to render vice as uninviting to him, as it is abominable in its own nature - I myself have had, indeed, but few incentives to what the world calls vice, but yet I have experienced temptations and trials of another kind, that have required, on many occasions, more watchfulness and firmness to resist than I have hitherto been able to muster against them. And this, I believe, is what most others would acknowledge who are accustomed to reflection, and wishful to strive against their natural corruptions.'



I hope you all have a day free from your natural corruptions... If you're in for a nearly 400-page novel with more of the like quotes, then you'll love this book.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Celeste!

    Cool quote. Especially applicable to BYU, I think.

    ReplyDelete