Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happy Day to TRNA Charlene

The day before Norwegian Independence Day, I wrote this about Trina.

Today is--if possible-- an even more momentous occasion.

Happy Birthday, Trina Charlene! I remember when you used to say, "Hey-- I'm not Trina. I'm TRNA Charlene!" I love how close you and Michelle were from the day you were born. I love memories of Aaron holding you and sometimes throwing you up into the air. I remember going to high school that day and proudly announcing to my teacher's that I had a brand-new sister, the 11th kid, who was beautiful. Treebalee, you still are. You give great hugs and are a good artist. You let me cut your hair, and you sure are fun to clean with. You are a fantastic sister and a great aunt. Or as Emma might say, "Uncle Trchrina?"

Trina is a lady of some distinction. Many of you know of her wonderfully imaginative interactions with Melinda. There's always that story of when Trina played Doctor with Dad's old laptop.

But, most recently and for your pleasure, I would like to present:

Trina's Present

Cummings family sits around the kitchen table in the evening. Heather and Dad walk in. (They has just brought a silver car back from the car shop. This car will soon be dubbed "Trofast", Norwegian for "faithful.")

Celeste: Hey, is the car ready?
Heather: Yeah, but I can't drive it to Seminary until we get the plates put on and the emissions test.
Celeste: Yes! You don't have to drive the van to seminary this year!
Dad: Hold on. Everybody listen up. I've already told this to Heather. This car is not mine. This car is not Heather's. This car is not--"
Joel: Celeste's?
Celeste: Yeah...I already paid for my car. This one's not mine...
Dad: No, It's not Celeste's. This car isn't Heather's, or Joel's, or Sarah's either. (Significantly). This car is Trina's. It's lasting until then.
Trina: (eyes glowing) Yes! (jumps up and does a cheerleader arm-thingy) I have a car! I have a car! Is this for my birthday?
Mom: Trina, I think you're the only 9-year old with her own car.
Joel: So this means I have to take care of it?

1 comment: