Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Artists I Know


Happy Day of Birth to Katy, whose birthday was yesterday. I have to say, I think that Katy is a lot of fun. Michelle and I got to spend some nice time with Aaron and Katy on the day of their move, and I relished in listening to Katy talk about some of the neat documentaries she's seen, including some about school and education. She's one of those widely-read, wide-knowledge-of the world kind of people who can carry on a great conversation with anyone I've met. I love having her in the family. Katy also brings a visual culture into our family; she studied illustration and graduated with her BFA from BYU, and she's done some great things with her work and in her spare time. Check out Katy's blog of some of her art here. One of my favorite posts she's done can be found here.


Delicious Mongolian Food!

Another artist in my family that I have been thinking about recently is my Uncle Geary. Michelle and I went to visit Carol and Geary last night and had a fantastic dinner of homemade Mongolian Barbeque. We got to pick our concoctions of ingredients and then mix our own sauce. It was so delicious. They were generous with their invitation, and we had a lot of fun with them. We made and ate food, composed the notes needed so that the Younce's could sing "Tacobel Canon"...and I can't believe it--I just found that link to it, when all night we sat at their computer plucking out the parts and putting them on a score. Well, that's irony for you. Anyways, at the Younces, Geary also showed me some of the drawings he's done. They are quite impressive, and surprisingly enough, he had done one of me based on a photo taken at their cabin in West Virginia. I wasn't expecting that one! Here's a link to some others of Geary's art on his blog. Much thanks to Carol for the maps and booklists, too--the classroom is coming up in just a few more weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks Celeste. You didn't mention that you had just hauled about a fourth of my earthly possessions up from a moving truck in ninety degree weather. I am deeply indebted to you. We'll have to get together and have some real fun some time. You should come to Glen Echo with us this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete