Saturday, January 31, 2009

It doesn't get zestier than these....



I am in a new apartment this semester, and with a new apartment has also come some nice appliances. I am a fan of the huge washer and dryer (with it's own room), and the shower works exceedingly well (though I still can't figure out why plumbers assume that showerheads should reach about chin-level for my percentage of the population. Being 5'8'', I think that's a pretty significant number, but oh well).
The apartment asset I speak of today is actually the t.v., and what it inspired.

Normally, I am not really a fan of tv. In my last apartment, we didn't have the "noise box," and that was a-o.k. with yours truly. In my current situation, I don't watch all that much of it. But there is one channel that we get that has always had me hooked--from even high school days, when weekends held the only tv privileges. The channel is--you guessed it. The food network.

Once or twice a week, I turn on the food network and get pumped on recipes, tips, and turns of hand that make me want to be a better cook. I love to try new things, and when I heard about this recipe, I was completely taken aback. I tried it that very weekend (with the fun help of Michelle and Melinda. These are so good, that my roommate Whitney and I have since made them again). You'll need two lemons.

Lemon Ricotta Cheese Cookies

1. 1/2 cup softened butter
2. 2 cups sugar
3. 2 eggs
4. 15 oz ricotta cheese
5. 3 TB lemon juice (fresh)
6. zest of one lemon

7. 2 1/2 cup flour
8. 1 tsp Baking Powder
9. 1 tsp salt

Glaze:
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
zest of one Lemon
3 TB lemon juice

Whip butter and sugar (about 1.5 min with hand mixer) and add in eggs, one at a time. Stir in ricotta, lemon zest and juice.

Add dry ingredients (already combined) in thirds.

Bake on Parchment paper at 375 for 15 minutes. While still hot, spread a spoonful of lemon glaze on top.

Allow to cool (if you can).


Honestly, I didn't know what I was expecting, but what I got was a very moist, extremely lemon-y cookie with a crisped outside and inner--I hate to say sponge, but a moist and fluffy interior.

Recommended with 5 stars and Celeste's seal of approval.

Now, as to "Balsalmic Vinegar Truffles" that was also on that same show, I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to but vinegar in my chocolate, no matter what kind of a "kick" she said they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment