Friday, May 28, 2010

Active Learning

Today I had fun in school, and that's saying something. Everyone in the building is completely counting on this 3-day weekend coming up. But during math today, when I was demonstrating how 2 cups fit into a pint, 4 cups in a quart, etc (we're measuring liquids right now), I demonstrated, taught, had them practice, and then reviewed the lesson with the students. During the review, one of my students forgot how many ounces were in a cup. I coached him until he got it right, then I did the first thing that came to mind. When he finally said, "Eight!" I wet the top of the "cup" measuring canister, and I sprinkled his face with water droplets.

"How many cups in a pint?" I asked. Suddenly, every hand went up.

TWO!!! (I shot some water at them, ensuing screaming as the first graders acted like they were playing in the sprinklers).

"How many cups in a quart?"

Every hand went up. I felt like I might as well reinforce the measurements, so every student was given the chance to answer.

I don't think they were expecting that one, but it was sure fun to see their wet faces.

Smiling, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Haha... you are the best. I love that sprinkling their faces with water was instinctive.

    ReplyDelete